JOB SUMMARY (overview of job): The PEA provides safe transfer and transport of patients who may include: infants, children, adolescents, adults and or elderly adults, to and from various areas throughout the facility in a timely manner. Maintains efficient flow of transport equipment and ensures its cleanliness and safe operating condition. Assist in Emergency Department to facilitate care and operational flow of unit and in meeting patient needs.
The PEA will work independently under the direct supervision of the ED RNs and Medical Providers.
KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE: CNA/EMT/comparable patient care experience preferred. Preferred six months in health care setting involved in the movement of ambulatory and non ambulatory patients. The ability to safely and ergonomically move equipment, patients and supplies. The ability to use a telephone, Vocera, and computer keyboard. Proficiency in reading and writing English.
EDUCATION. High school graduate or equivalent
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRY: BLS (Basic Life Support)
Aptitudes: Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively with all care providers within team framework and other internal customers.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Is certified in CPR and able to perform if necessary
- Transports patients who require single or multiple person transports with appropriate assistance using a wheelchair or gurney, along with accompanying equipment, following organizational and departmental policies.
- Transfers and/or assists unit staff in transferring patients to and from beds, gurneys and wheelchairs.
- Observes and/or reports unusual clinical signs and/or changes in patient condition immediately to nursing and medical staff
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of safety related work behaviors to ensure safe job performance and the maintenance of a safe environment as an integral part of the quality of patient care services
- Assists in maintaining a safe and orderly work environment, including necessary supply/equipment movement between departments
- Is knowledgeable regarding guidelines for infection control and universal precaution.
- Carries Vocera/communication tool to maintain contact at all times and responds to calls or pages in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintains inventory by stocking/restocking areas as assigned.
- Maintains access to patient care space by cleaning patient care rooms for increased efficiency in room turnover
- Ability to promote and maintain good customer relations.
- Utilizes good body mechanics for safe transportation of patient and equipment.
- Must be pleasant, kind and present a favorable professional appearance.
- Displays excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and have excellent follow through.
- Ability to problem-solve using good communication and people skills.
- Performs other duties as assigned and as needed including obtaining patient vital signs & visual acuities, obtaining EKGs, checking oxygen tanks, setting up/readying equipment & supplies for specific procedures such as suturing/laceration trays, splinting materials, bladder scanner, pelvic exams, assists with crutch fitting, assists with ordering/reordering "special order" supply items, accompanying patients who need calming through staff presence